AW

Ancient Warfare magazine

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Playing Some L'Art de la Guerre ...

Spent the last couple day's finally testing out the L'Art de la Guerre ("L'Art") ancients rules. Taking me a bit wrapping my head around some of the movement rules, which is otherwise a pretty straight forward game system.







The mechanics are pretty straight forward, a good "grainy" feel to them for those looking for more detail compared to DBA. At the same time the game flows very fast. Combats can be very quick and brutal - even considering the "cohesion" rule that keeps units on the table until they reach a certain loss in cohesion - 2-4 points in general. The movement section takes the longest to play out - at least for a newbie to the rules like myself.




All in all I am liking the rules. I have been looking for a good set which is a step up from DBA (which remains my favorite so far - at least for small and FAST games). DBMM and Impetvs still attract me as well. Which reminds me, if you like Impetvs, you may very well like these rules as well - much of Impetvs was drawn from concepts in these rules.





2 comments:

  1. Had a quick flick through the book earlier, liked what I saw and the little bits that I read, need to sit down and go through it page by page. Nice to see you have some figures on the table and are giving it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian. Had a couple short games so far. At this pont I am setting up a small 100 point battle (about as small as the rules allow). So far I like them. They have aspects I enjoy such as allowing for larger battles. Combat mechanics are FAST. Movement is tricky and it took me a few re-reads to get to grips. Lemme know how you yourself get along with them. I think 6mm scale would be perfect with these rules.

      Delete